Powered By Blogger

Saturday, 4 October 2014

THE RAMADAM FEAST (Eid-ai-Fitr)

Eid al-Fitr (Arabic: عيد الفطرʻĪd al-Fiṭr, IPA: [ʕiːd al fitˤr], "festival of breaking of the fast"), also called Feast of Breaking the Fast, the Sugar Feast, Bayram (Bajram), the Sweet Festival[3] and the Lesser Eid, is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting (sawm). The religious Eid is a single day during which Muslims are not permitted to fast. The holiday celebrates the conclusion of the 29 or 30 days of dawn-to-sunset fasting during the entire month of Ramadan. The day of Eid, therefore, falls on the first day of the month of Shawwal. This is a day when Muslims around the world show a common goal of unity. The date for the start of any lunar Hijri month varies based on the observation of new moon by local religious authorities, so the exact day of celebration varies by locality. However, in most countries, it is generally celebrated on the same day as Saudi Arabia.[2]
Eid al-Fitr has a particular Salat (Islamic prayer) consisting of two Rakats (units) and generally offered in an open field or large hall.[4] It may be performed only in congregation (Jama’at) and, has an additional extra six Takbirs (raising of the hands to the ears while saying "Allāhu Akbar", literally "God is greatest"), three of them in the beginning of the first raka'ah and three of them just before Ruku' in the second raka'ah in the Hanafi school of Sunni Islam.[5] Other Sunni schools usually have twelve Takbirs, seven in the first, and five at the beginning of the second raka'ah. This Eid al-Fitr salat is, depending on which juristic opinion is followed, Fard (obligatory), Mustahabb (strongly recommended, just short of obligatory) or mandoob (preferable).
Muslims believe that they are commanded by Allah, as mentioned in the Quran, to continue their fast until the last day of Ramadan[6] and pay the Zakat and fitra before offering the Eid prayers.
Traditionally, it is the day (beginning at sunset) of the first sighting of the crescent moon shortly after sunset. If the moon is not observed immediately after the 29th day of the previous lunar month (either because clouds block its view or because the western sky is still too bright when the moon sets), then it is the following day.

Th Nigerian army say that the BOKO HARAM leader is dead

The Nigerian military said Wednesday that it had killed a man posing as Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau and confirmed that Shekau had been killed earlier. The announcement comes after previous claims of his death in 2009 and 2013.

The army also said that 135 Boko Haram fighters had surrendered their weapons to Nigerian troops on Tuesday in the northeast town of Buni Yadi, some 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of Konduga in Borno state.
Defence spokesman Chris Olukolade told reporters in Abuja on Wednesday that the Nigerian army had killed a man posing as Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, who Olukolade said had also been killed. He said an Islamist fighter identified as Mohammed Bashir died in clashes in Konduga, adding that Bashir was the man who appeared in recent videos released by the group.
Bashir had been "acting or posing as the deceased Abubakar Shekau", who Olukolade called "the eccentric character known as the leader of the group".
The military did not say when or how Shekau was killed and the announcement comes after two previous claims by security sources that he had died, one in July 2009 and another in late June 2013.
The many faces of Shekau
A spokeswoman for the Department of State Security Service, Marilyn Ogar, said again in May that "the original" Shekau was dead, adding that the man who now appears in videos released by the Islamist group was an imposter.

Security sources say that the actual identity of the group's leader may not be key to its operations, as any number of Boko Haram fighters stand ready to take on the leadership role as required.

 
Olukolade told the news conference that the name "Shekau" had become something of a "brand name for the terrorists", and that many different Boko Haram commanders may have used that moniker.
These include Abdullahi Damasak, who was succeeded upon his death by Mustapha Chad, according to sources close to the group.
In this way Boko Haram may be seeking to bestow a semblance of immortality on its former chief.
But Olukolade said the army was committed to defeating any or all of the group's leaders. "The Nigerian military remains resolute to serve justice to anyone who assumes that designation or title, as well as all the terrorists that seek to violate the freedom and territory of Nigeria," he said.
Olukolade told the briefing that Bashir had also used several identities, among them "Bashir Mohammed, alias Abubakar Shekau, alias Abacha Abdullahi Geidam, alias Damasak, etc."
Washington officially designated Boko Haram a terrorist organisation in November last year. The United States also offered a $7 million reward for Shekau's capture as part of its Rewards for Justice programme and designated him a "global terrorist".
Britain, Nigeria’s former colonial ruler, and France have also branded the Islamists a "terrorist" group.
Scepticism amid death claims
To prove its claims, the Nigerian military showed an amateur video recording of the fighting in Konduga in which bodies littered the streets.
Pointing to a bearded man lying dead on the ground alongside another slain fighter, Olukolade said: "That character tallies with the one that has been showing himself on the video."
A close-up photograph of the man's face was projected alongside a screengrab from a Boko Haram video of Shekau holding an assault rifle. An arrow pointed out a small growth on the foreheads of both men.
The United States voiced skepticism Thursday over the reports that Shekau had been killed.
"The Nigerians have announced several times that the head of Boko Haram was dead, and every single time we find out that it is not true," a senior State Department official told reporters.
Some regional analysts said earlier this week that they also remained sceptical about any such claims.
Ryan Cummings, chief Africa analyst at Red24 risk consultants in South Africa, said he thought it unlikely that Boko Haram's commander would have been in the thick of battle in Konduga or anywhere else.
But Jacob Zenn, from the Jamestown Foundation thinktank in the United States, said the death of a Shekau double in Konduga was plausible.
"It's important to note, however, that Shekau may have had 'doubles' who appeared in some videos. And the army has a record of being incorrect about claims of Shekau's death," he said.
He said the truth will likely only be known when another video emerges "from Shekau, or someone who purports to be Shekau".
Army under pressure
Nigeria's military has come under increasing pressure to regain territory lost to the Islamists, who have seized control of a string of towns stretching over 200 miles along Nigeria’s northeast border with Cameroon in recent weeks.
Thousands of civilians have been forced from their homes in the latest offensive, joining the more than 1.5 million people who have already been displaced within Nigeria or who have fled across the border to Niger, Cameroon and Chad, according to UN figures.
Addressing the annual UN General Assembly in New York on Wednesday, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan vowed to step up the fight against Boko Haram.
"Let me underline today that we shall not waver until we end this mindless war on innocents and bring all the perpetrators to justice. We will triumph over terrorism," he said.
Boko Haram, whose name means "Western education is forbidden" in the local Hausa language, has been waging an increasingly bloody insurgency to overthrow the government and establish an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria since 2009.
The group stole international headlines in April when it stormed a school in Chibok and kidnapped 276 schoolgirls, most between 12 and 17 years of age.
A month later, Boko Haram released a video in which a man thought to be Shekau threatened to sell the girls into slavery. In another video released soon after, the man said the militants would free the girls in a prisoner exchange, an offer the Nigerian authorities rejected.
President Jonathan, who has come under fire for failing to do more to rescue the girls, told the General Assembly that Nigerian authorities were still working to free the some 200 schoolgirls still being held by the militants.
“Although it has been over three months since they were abducted, we have never relented in our efforts to set them safely free,” Jonathan told the 193-member world body.

The fake death of BOKO HARAM'S leader

A video has been released showing the purported leader of Nigeria's Islamist group Boko Haram dismissing the military's allegations that he is dead.
In the video, Abubakar Shekau says his fighters shot down an air force jet that went missing three weeks ago.A screengrab taken on 2 October  2014 from a video released by the Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram and obtained by AFP shows the leader of the Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau
Last week, the military claimed a man posing as the Boko Haram leader in videos had been killed and in August 2013 said that Shekau may be dead.
Security analysts have questioned the credibility of the military's claims.
Nigeria journalist Ahmad Salkida, who has good contacts within Boko Haram, said on his Twitter account last week that he had it "on authority that Shekau is well and alive".
Is it is not clear when or where the video, obtained by the AFP news agency, was made.
But the BBC's Hausa Service editor, Mansur Liman, says the man speaking appears to be the same Abubakar Shekau in other Boko Haram videos.

Nations Cup 2015: No place for Song in Cameroon squad

The Indomitable Lions are set to play Sierra Leone on 10 and 15 October in Group D of 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers. Alex Song
Song was given the suspension after being sent off during Cameroon's second match at the World Cup.
He was dismissed for elbowing Croatia's Mario Mandzukic in the 4-0 loss.

Cameroon's 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying so far

Won 2-0 against DR Congo - goals from N'Jie and Aboubakar
Won 4-1 against Ivory Coast - 2 goals each from N'jie and Aboubakar
The 28-year-old missed the final Group A match in Brazil, a 4-1 loss to the hosts, and then Cameroon's opening two Nations Cup qualifiers.
Following the World Cup, he joined English Premier League side West Ham on a season-long loan from Spanish giants Barcelona.
There is a recall for the Lyon defender Henri Bedimo, who missed the qualifying wins against DR Congo and Ivory Coast through injury.
Cameroon are set to host both qualifiers against Sierra Leone in Yaounde as the Leone Stars are unable to play at home due to the ongoing outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the country.
The Indomitable Lions are top of Group D after the first two matches with the top two sides in each group guaranteed to qualify for January's finals in Morocco.
Cameroon squad:
Goalkeepers: Pierre Sylvain Abogo (Tonnerre Yaounde), Guy Roland Ndy Assembe (Nancy, France), Joseph Ondoua (Barcelona, Spain)
Defenders: Frank Bagnack (Barcelona, Spain), Henri Bedimo (Lyon, France), Cedric Djeugoue (Coton Sport), Jerome Guihoata (Valenciennes, France), Bana Moussa (Coton Sport), Nicolas Nkoulou, Brice Nlate (both Marseille), Ambroise Oyongo (New York Red Bulls, USA)
Midfielders: Enoh Eyong (Standard Liege, Belgium), Marc Kibong Mbamba (Konyaspor, Turkey), Raoul Cedric Loe (Osasuna, Spain), Georges Mandjeck (Kayseri Erciyesspor, Turkey), Stephane Mbia (Sevilla, Spain), Benjamin Moukandjo (Stade Reims, France), Edgar Salli (Monaco, France), Guy Christian Zock (Cosmos Bafia)
Forwards: Vincent Aboubakar (Porto, Portugal), Eric-Maxim Choupo Moting (Schalke 04, Germany), Jean Marie Dongou (Barcelona, Spain), Frank Etoundi (FC Zurich, Switzerland), Leonard Kwueke (Caykur Rizespor, Turkey), Clinton N'Jie(Lyon)

Samuel Eto'o's late goal salvaged a point for a lacklustre Everton in their Europa League group-stage game at FK Krasnodar.

The Cameroon striker was perfectly placed to tap in a cross from Leighton Baines with eight minutes remaining. Samuel Eto'o
Brazilian forward Ari had fired the home side ahead after capitalising on a mistake from Phil Jagielka.
The Toffees, who were second-best in Russia, now have four points from two Group H games.
Two weeks ago, they got their campaign off to the best possible start courtesy of a comfortable 4-1 home win over German side Wolfsburg.
That victory showcased a bright, attacking display from a near first-choice Roberto Martinez side to give them confidence of achieving their manager's aim of going as far as possible in this season's competition.
However, despite again naming a strong side, the Spaniard's team were distinctly average in Russia to provide a reality check to their ambitious aims, and they needed a trademark piece of finishing from experienced European campaigner Eto'o, 33, to dig them out of a hole.

SIERRA LEONE PREPARATIONS FOR THE MATCH IN CAMEROON

A row over coaching staff has broken out in Sierra Leone with the country's Football Association (SLFA) and sports ministry announcing two separate sets of coaches to take charge of the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Cameroon.
The move has thrown Sierra Leone's preparations for the games in Yaounde on 11 October and 15 October into disarray. Sierra Leone Team
The SLFA has appointed John Ajina Sesay as care-taker coach. He will be assisted by Abdulai Bah.
It comes 16 days after another former Sierra Leone International, Atto Mensah, was appointed as coach of the team by the country's Sports ministry to replace the sacked Northern Irishman, Jonathan Mckinstry. Former Leone Stars skipper John Sama was named as Mensah's assistant.
Mensah has already named his squad for the two matches. But the SLFA's head of media and marketing, Abu Bakarr Kamara, says they have appointed a new coach because Mensah was not qualified for the job.
"After receiving Mensah' s curriculum vitae we decided to write to the Dutch FA and we have found out that he's not qualified for the job," Kamara told BBC Sport.
"He has a Uefa Diploma B coaching license which only qualifies him to coach a second division team in an amateur league.
"It's not equivalent to the Caf (Confederation of African Football) B license, the minimum requirement Caf ask for."
"That's why we've rejected his appointment and have gone further to appoint Sesay as coach of the Leone Stars for only the two games against Cameroon.
"We are retaining all the players already invited by Mensah because we don't have much time left for the Cameroon game and Sesay may add just a few players onto the list."
But Sierra Leone's Sports ministry, who pay the wages of the Leone Stars coach, insist that Mensah and his assistant John Sama will be in charge of the team for the four remaining group qualifiers.
Deputy Sports minister Ismail Al Sankoh Conteh told BBC Sport:
"We know both Mensah and Sama are qualified and they'll take us through the remaining matches in the qualifiers."
"The appointment of these coaches was done by both the ministry and the SLFA, so they just want to confuse themselves.
"We're not bothered with their appointments. We'll take our coaches to Cameroon."
Kamara claims the SLFA were not part of the decision to appoint Mensah and Sama.
He said the ministry informed them in a meeting about their choices and in return they requested for the curriculum vitae of the coaches.
The two bodies have now vowed to take their own coaches to Yaounde.
Mensah and Sama are due to fly directly to Yaounde from their respective locations in Europe while Sesay and Bah are scheduled to depart from Freetown.
The Leone Stars are currently bottom of group D in the qualifiers after losing their first two matches to Ivory Coast and Democratic Republic of Congo last month, which resulted in the sacking of Mckinstry.
This is the latest dispute between the current SLFA administration and the sports ministry in a growing list of recent controversies.
The now-suspended SLFA executive committee member, Morrison Sannoh, was stopped at Freetown airport and prevented from travelling with the Leone Stars to Swaziland for a 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on the orders of Sports minister Paul Kamara in May.
Also in May the two bodies appointed separate coaches for the country's Under 20 national team Shooting Stars' 2015 Caf U-20 championship qualifying match against Ghana.
The previous SLFA administration was also at loggerheads with the country's sports ministry several times over the appointment of coaches and the running of the team's matches.


David cameron does not forgive the murdre of henning

The murder of hostage Alan Henning was "completely unforgivable" David Cameron has said, as he vowed the UK would do all it could to find the killers.
A video purporting to show Mr Henning being beheaded has been released by Islamic State (IS) militants.
Mr Cameron said IS was a "repulsive" and "barbaric" organisation.
He described Mr Henning, who was delivering aid to Syria in December when he was kidnapped, as a "kind, gentle, compassionate and caring man".
IS had threatened to kill the Salford taxi driver in video footage last month showing the death of Briton David Haines.
In the most recent video, the extremist group threatens US aid worker Peter Kassig.
Speaking at Chequers following a briefing from defence and intelligence officials, including the head of MI5, Mr Cameron said: "The murder of Alan Henning is absolutely abhorrent.
"It is senseless, it is completely unforgiveable. Anyone in any doubt about this organisation can now see how truly repulsive and barbaric it is.
"And as a country, what we must do, with our allies, is everything we can to defeat this organisation in the region, but also to defeat it at home, and we must do everything we can to hunt down and find the people who are responsible for this."